Thursday, October 13, 2011

Past the half-way mark!

Yeah!! 5 down, 3 to go... I CAN DO THIS!!!

I had issues with my veins again. Starting to argue with my nurses a little about it. They are insisting that my veins are not going to make it. They want a PICC line or a port installed. I do not want either of these. I dont want the PICC because the dressing need changed every week, and handling the appointments I currently have is enough. The port I do not want because its more surgery. NOT GONNA HAPPEN!! So this is now a little battle. I keep reminding them I onlt have 3 treatments left. I do not need these things. Just deal with the veins I have! My nurse yesterday was really bad. And she didnt listen to me. Not helpful. I have 4 pokes in my arm this time. Im not sure what she was thinking to begin with. My cocktail is very strong and needs a good vein to start with. When she put the warm towel on to start, it was over my hand, so I mentioned we go up the arm, and showed her how high. |So she moved the towel a bit and just said it all had to get warm anyways. So I show her the area we need to find a vein. She did 2 pokes with no success, so then goes lower and pokes me. I then have to tell her again we cannot go that low because it causes the intense arm pain for a week a week after treatment! So finally she calls the other nurse over, who checks both sides, finds the side she like best, and with one poke is in a good higher vein! I am getting really annoyed with the nurses who dont know where to go or refuse to let anyone else try before they do. As far as im concerned, leave it to the ones who know where my veins are. Grrr... just had to vent a bit there!

So, 3 more treatments, then I learn the follow-up plan, which sounds pretty intensive for at least the first year, which is great, and I will be closely watched for the rest of my life! Looking forward to a big celebration when all is said and done, including a trip to the tropics in the new year if everything works out with babysitters!

No comments:

Post a Comment